serves 4 as a meal
1. Heat milk in microwave until almost boiling. Set aside.
2. In a bowl, toss 1T cornstarch or flour with shredded cheese. Set aside, near the stove.
3. Rub peeled, halved garlic clove over bottom and sides of medium saucepan then discard.
4. Melt butter in saucepan over medium low heat, then whisk in cornstarch or flour until smooth.
5. Add the slightly cooled milk 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until the sauce is heated and has a creamy consistency. (If the milk is too hot it will denature the cheese protein and cause it to “break” become lumpy or grainy with oily butterfat.)
6. Add grated cheese by handfuls, stirring constantly in a zig-zag pattern to prevent the cheese from seizing and balling up. Cook just until the cheese is melted and creamy. DO NOT LET BOIL.
7. Once the mixture is smooth, stir in kirsch, optional, and nutmeg.
8. Add lemon juice and pour into preheated fondue pot set at it’s lowest setting.
Serve traditionally with chunks of day old bread or with blanched veggies arranged around the fondue pot.
To eat: spear dipping foods with fondue forks or small forks. Dip to coat with the cheese sauce and eat.